[Dxspider-support] Cluster hangs

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sun Mar 6 18:48:08 GMT 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 09:04:11AM -0500, charlie carroll wrote:
> How many people with this problem are using Perl 5.8.5?  I never saw
> this problem with Perl 5.6.

No problem here with 5.8.4.  I did have a similar problem when I first
started running DXSpider in 2001, but that was because my old
486-66/16MB couldn't quite keep up!  I replaced it with a P133/32MB and
that was much better but would still hiccup rarely (the current shack
computer is a 1.2 GHz Celeron which has no problems running DXSpider,
node, TLF contest logger, web and ftp servers, etc.)

I doubt that slow computers are causing the current problems, however,
but in case any of you are using old boat anchors, be aware that Perl
(or any interpreted language) doesn't run all that fast.

73, Bob N7XY