[Dxspider-support] Re: Windows service

Dave Edwards dave at g7rau.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 20:55:54 GMT 2005

Hi
I run Spider on win 2k3 as a service, also before I ran on win2k as a
service.
Follow the instructions on:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsof
t.com:80/support/kb/articles/q137/8/90.asp&NoWebContent=1#appliesto
to add a service.
You will need the instsrv and srvany files to do this (Windows NT
Resource Kit).
When editing the registry I use the connect:
\\mypc\c$\Perl\bin\perl.exe \\mypc\c$\spider\perl\cluster.pl
in the Parameters\Application field I find this works whereas c:\
does not unless you are logged in..
The service runs here under the local system account.
This means I never login directly to the server so it runs on server
startup. Watch out though if you shut your machine down as you will
eventually corrupt the dupefile, use a telnet login to issue
'shutdown' to spider.
If you require any additional info then please email me off list.

Regards

G7RAU-Dave

  1. Re: Windows service (Kelly Jones)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:06:56 -0600 (CST)
> From: Kelly Jones <kjones at sullivan1.com>
> Subject: Re: [Dxspider-support] Windows service
> To: Eric Carling <ericc at metro800.co.uk>,	The DXSpider Support list
> 	<dxspider-support at dxcluster.org>
>
> Thanks Eric,
>
> The only problem with that solution is that it requires a user to actually
> log on before the "startup" items fire.  If I'm going to do this, I just
> as well manually start it.
>
> What I'm after is a solution that will start the cluster without any
> intervention after a reboot.  I'm sure there is a way to start it as a
> service, I was just hoping somebody had already jumped through the hoops
> so I didn't have to fiddle with things trying to find the right combination.
>
> Kelly

Dave Edwards (G7RAU)
dave at g7rau.co.uk
dave.edwards at iwcollege.ac.uk