[Dxspider-support] Upgrading CPU... HELP !!!

Stephen J Carroll scarroll at mchsi.com
Sat Nov 26 14:53:10 GMT 2005

I'm in the process of replacing the club's old Pentium 133 computer with a
faster model.

OLD:  Win98SE, ActivePerl 5.6.1.633, DXSpider 1.51 (build 59.389) on MSWin32
NEW:  W2K SP4, ActivePerl 5.8.7.813, DXSpider 1.51 (build 59.389) on MSWin32

I upgraded the ActivePerl on the NEW computer based on Dirk's previous
comments about 5.8.7.813 being needed for a future upgrade of the software.
Once the NEW computer was configured, everything seemed to initialize and
operate fine with the latest version of DXSpider. But then I tried getting
fancy...

Since the OLD and NEW computers were running the same version of DXSpider, I
figured it would be safe to just copy over the entire /spider/data
directory. However, the startup initialization of DXSpider doesn't like the
copied version of USERS.V3 (or some other file) in the /spider/data
directory. I get an error message and the initialization ends and I'm
returned to the /spider/perl prompt.

I've tried running "create_sysop.pl" and "update_sysop.pl" in different
manners with no success.

I wasn't able to locate any help by scanning through the Admin Manual or the
online archives either. So, I'm "sending up a flare" to anyone who knows the
correct way to transfer my current USERS and NODE data over to the NEW
computer.

Thanks in advance.

73, Steve - K2SC
SysOp @ W4QB,K4ZR