[Dxspider-support] Upgrading CPU... HELP !!!

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 15:22:36 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 08:53 -0600, Stephen J Carroll wrote:
> I'm in the process of replacing the club's old Pentium 133 computer with a
> faster model.
>
> OLD:  Win98SE, ActivePerl 5.6.1.633, DXSpider 1.51 (build 59.389) on MSWin32
> NEW:  W2K SP4, ActivePerl 5.8.7.813, DXSpider 1.51 (build 59.389) on MSWin32
>
> I upgraded the ActivePerl on the NEW computer based on Dirk's previous
> comments about 5.8.7.813 being needed for a future upgrade of the software.
> Once the NEW computer was configured, everything seemed to initialize and
> operate fine with the latest version of DXSpider. But then I tried getting
> fancy...
>
> Since the OLD and NEW computers were running the same version of DXSpider, I
> figured it would be safe to just copy over the entire /spider/data
> directory. However, the startup initialization of DXSpider doesn't like the
> copied version of USERS.V3 (or some other file) in the /spider/data
> directory. I get an error message and the initialization ends and I'm
> returned to the /spider/perl prompt.

Pretend that it is a corrupted users file (well it sort of is after
all).

Stop the node. Go to the /spider/data directory and run: perl user_asc
(I am presuming that you have user_asc, user_asc.o, user_asc.oo etc).

This will create a new version of your users file compatible with this
version of DB_File. If you get problems with the user file, this is the
way out and why the software generates a 'user_asc' file once a week.

Incidentally, this is one of the things that I hope will be fixed by
using DBI and SQLite.