[Dxspider-support] Fw: AGW and Spider

Eric Carling eric at g0cgl.f2s.com
Mon Oct 31 19:49:20 GMT 2005

 From Lee VE7CC

-------Original Message-------

From: Lee Sawkins
Date: 10/31/05 19:42:46
To: Eric Carling
Subject: AGW and Spider

(I see I am still unable to post to the Spider reflector.  I receive all
the mail, I just can't send my comments.  If you could forward this to
the reflector, it would be appreciated).

The AGW - Spider problem is unique to Spider.  I run one instance of AGW
and it services both Spider and ARC.  All in the same Win 2K computer.
Quite often the Spider - AGW part quits working, but never the ARC -
AGW.

My suspicion is that the problem is caused by the fact that Spider is
much faster than ARC and AGW is unable to handle the traffic.  During
the contest my Spider to AGW link failed but the ARC to AGW ran fine.
This was with just one user of AGW connected to Spider and 10 users
connected to the ARC.  The one Spider user was our group at VE7SV's
mountain top which doesn't have high speed internet.  We use 1200 baud
packet.  We had to change to the ARC cluster, which ran fine for the
rest of the contest.

My latest attempt to fix this problem is to bump up the process priority
of AGW to "above normal" and see if this helps.  AGW, like most other
programs defaults to "normal" priority.  I may even try "high" priority
if it doesn't cause trouble at "above normal".

Running Spider (actually Perl) at "above normal" causes my telnet proxy
to loose data as it cannot handle the data fast enough.  This is with
the proxy running at "high", which is its default.  Spider has to run at
"normal".

Lee