[Dxspider-support] Telnet Sessions locking up

Mike Lewis mlewis at digitalglobe.com
Fri Dec 22 06:16:40 CET 2006

Hi,

I am running version 1.52 build 61.523, and am having an exasperating
problem. My node connects to one other node (usually K1EA), and my
Spider software which is hosted in a Linux box (running Debian) seems to
work fine. External connects to the cluster are restricted to be via 2
meters only, and those all seem to work with no problems. I can also log
into the cluster when logged in  on the actual LInux box that is hosting
my Spider node. The problem comes in when I connect to the cluster over
my local network using either of my 2 windows computers. I usually use
Putty to run a telnet session, or sometimes connect via my DXLabs
logging software (using the Spotcollector application). I have also just
run a command window under Windoze XP and connected using a telnet
command. In each of these cases, I connect ok, and the link works fine,
but if I have even a short period (say more than maybe 5 mins or
something) where I am not querying the cluster or at least hitting a
return key once in a while the telnet session seems to die. The cluster
does not seem to show me as disconnected, but I get no response back
from Spider with any of my telnet typing, and the telnet application
will eventually report the connection as terminated. I can relog in any
time after the session has frozen (after closing the original session
window) and the sysytem connects me again to the cluster as if nothing
had happened. The log shows no activity that explains what is wrong, it
just seems to have nothing in it after my last interaction that was
recognized by the cluster before the freeze. Regular telnet sessions to
the Linux system, without logging into Spider, don't exhibit this
behavior.

I have been running this same configuration for many years, and never
used to have this issue at all. It seemed to crop up about a year ago,
when I upgraded the hardware I was using for the cluster and
reinstalled. I recently had a hard drive crash, and had to re-install
again. I was hoping this problem might go away, but alas, it is still
there. Anyone have any thoughts as to what the issue is? Any help would
be appreciated.

Mike/KE0MF