[Dxspider-support] problem with user_asc after upgrade

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Feb 13 21:35:18 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 20:16 +0100, Simone wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm going to setup a new linuxbox for the DXSpider.
> I've installed the base package, then rsynced the entire directory
> from the old linuxbox and then I made a CVS update. Everything went
> ok, but when I start the cluster I have the following message :
> can't open user file /spider/data/users [rebuild it from user_asc?]
> I tried also to run : perl user_asc
> but it seems that make nothing.
> Any ideas before i try again all the process ?

Firstly, after doing the rsync I would either update the new machine
from CVS or http://www.dxcluster.org/download/CVSlatest.tgz.

It is not helpful to perpetuate old versions of the software onto new
machines (but rsync is good way of taking the configuration and
historical data across), provided you update the actual software
afterwards.

Secondly: make sure you are logged in as the correct unix user. I would
remove /spider/data/users.v3 (and/or .v2 if it is there). I would check
that you have (or can find) a user_asc (on either machine) that has data
in it. Then try the 'perl user_asc' thing again. Use the newest one of
the user_asc.o* files if the user_asc is corrupted or just plain wrong.
That is why they are there.

Also, as a matter of course, remove the /spider/data/dupefile because
that will also cause problems if you having to do this.

Please report back with more info if it fails again. I am happy to ssh
in to fix it if required.

Dirk G1TLH