[Dxspider-support] Feature request

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 21:38:54 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 13:22 -0800, Lee Sawkins wrote:
> Would it be possible to add a feature to Dx Spider that would show who
> is logging in and out of specific "local" nodes?  Currently the logins
> only show for the node to which the user is connected.
>
> I am currently running 4 dx cluster nodes.  One AR Cluster and 3
> Spider.  It would very useful if the local login information could be
> sent for any of these nodes.
>
> When connected to my AR Cluster node, users see who is connecting to
> all 3 of the Spider clusters as well as the ARC node.  AR Cluster has
> a list of what it calls "Local Nodes" and sends this login data out to
> its users.

Ok. I'll bite, I can see a simple enough way to do that. We simply mark
nodes as being part of such a group and do some tiddling with the 'user
logged in/out' logic. It doesn't actually require any extra protocol
chitchat to achieve.

However, before I look at that, what else does this 'local node'
paradigm do on AR-C? Or indeed what other things could we do that would
be useful that could also be inferred from the normal protocol?