[Dxspider-support] Feature request

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 21:59:22 GMT 2006

Hi Dirk

  The purpose of the local node on ARC was for users in an area served by several nodes to be able to see who was connecting to all of the area's nodes.  I don't believe it serves any other purpose.

  In my user program I use the connecting/disconnecting information to display a real time list of who is connected.

  Lee

  Ok. I'll bite, I can see a simple enough way to do that. We simply mark
nodes as being part of such a group and do some tiddling with the 'user
logged in/out' logic. It doesn't actually require any extra protocol
chitchat to achieve.
  However, before I look at that, what else does this 'local node'
paradigm do on AR-C? Or indeed what other things could we do that would
be useful that could also be inferred from the normal protocol?