[Dxspider-support] cvs time out

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 12:46:42 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 17:25 +1100, Danny Moss wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
>  I have been trying to cvs update my spider node and it just keeps
> coming back
> cvs [update aborted]: connect to cvs
> DXSpider.sourceforge.net966.35.250.209):2401 failed: Connection timed out

For Linux users only:

Would you check the contents of: /spider/CVS/Root

It should have one line in it saying:

:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dxspider

If it does not, then I am rather surprised that you have not complained
before because it has been changed for at least 9 months now.

If this file needs changing, then it isn't quite as straight forward as
changing this one file. You need either to do a full upgrade from the
latest tarball (logged in as the spider sysop user):

[sysop at spider ~]$ cd /tmp
[sysop at spider /tmp]$ wget
http://www.dxcluster.org/download/CVSlatest.tgz
[sysop at spider /tmp]$ cd /
[sysop at spider /]$ tar xvfzp /tmp/CVSlatest.tgz

and then restart

or, the quick way (again as the sysop user):

[sysop at spider ~]$ cd /spider
[sysop at spider /spider]$ echo ':pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/dxspider' > newRoot
[sysop at spider /spider]$ find . -name Root -exec cp newRoot {} \;

For Windows users:

Not completely familiar with the WinCVS program, but I believe it is
possible to change the Root in the dialog boxes, otherwise do the
equivalent of the full upgrade method above.

Dirk G1TLH