[Dxspider-support] Selfspotting

Robert Chalmas rchalmas at users.ch
Wed Jan 11 21:08:05 GMT 2006

>> Or if it is a problem, since it is a user issue of whether one wants
>> to see self-spots or not, leave it to the client software authors to
>> implement the filter in their logbook or telnet application.

I have it implemented in RXCLUS, but I believe it would be a good thing
to allow users to get rid of what many of them consider as a nuisance.

> You can't assume that we all use sophisticated clients. I opt for the
> possibility to have an user command something like set/blockselfspotter
> and unset/blockselfspotter.

I believe this would be the best solution. If we can't agree about what
to do with this kind of spots at the network level, we should at least offer
each user the choise to receive them or not.

Just a few nore thoughts: I'm quite disappointed with the effects the
cluster (but not only it) had on the way we use amateur radio,
especially on the VHF bands.
Earlier we had to locate a weak signal, listen to get the full call,
then copy the report and locator to get a valid QSO.
Today, we copy the call on the cluster, assume the report is 59 or 599
(this started on HF long time ago but is more and more affecting VHF also,
where it is really a big non sense), try to copy the locator but if we miss
some characters we will in most cases find them on the cluster (or qrz.com);
is there any reason to be proud of such a contact ?
This is even worse with meteor scatter, where too many operators break
the rules by transmitting on the cluster information which has to be
transmitted on the air, even if the result of being honest may be an
incomplete contact...

Yes, we are now more efficient, but don't we forget that it is a hobby and
not an industrial work where efficiency is the only important thing ?

Greetings,              Robert - HB9BZA

--
Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
    email:        rchalmas at users.ch    AX-25: HB9BZA @ HB9IAP