[Dxspider-support] How store DX-Spots in external file ???

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 21:24:43 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 19:14 +0200, Dick wrote:
> I browsed the Spider directories and the MRTG directories on my server and I
> can't appear to find anything 'useful' that would allow me to extract the
> data and store it in a file - say the last ten DX-Spots ..

Dick

I see that you have found a solution however, depending on your interest
in programming, there are others:

1. for spots, there is the 'showdx' perl program that does what it says.
It is designed to be used stand alone.

2. You can look at the files directly. They are not hard to decode once
you understand that the 'date' is actually the number returned by the
'C' function called 'time()' and is widely understood by many mainstream
programming languages. The spot files are located
in /spider/data/spots/<year>/<day in year>.dat. It is in ascii "csv"
format except that the separator is the character '^' (because that is
the character that node protocol uses.

3. WWV and other data can also be found in various directories
under /spider/data. They are stored in a similar format.

Dirk G1TLH