[Dxspider-support] computer change

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 09:09:01 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 23:03 -0500, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> At 05:46 PM 1/22/2006, I wrote:
>
> >First I installed Perl with all the extra packages on the new PC.
> >
> >Then I copied my entire "spider" directory tree to the new computer.
>
> This might not have been sufficient, at least in a Windows world.
>
> I don't think CVS is working properly.  I got an error right from the
> get-go when I tried "cvs update" (something about a file being
> truncated, the node is fine otherwise).  I'm not getting the error on
> the other (home office) computer that still has my first incarnation
> of the AD1C node installed (but no longer running).  Maybe I screwed
> up permissions somewhere (I ZIPped the old directory and then
> UNZIPped it on the new computer).
>
> Can I just download the latest tarball and unpack it in-place without
> losing my custom login files, etc.?

Yes.

Remember that the tarball is rooted at / (or \) so you need to cd there
and not the next level up /spider (\spider).

AFAIK what you did should have worked. If it is just the one file and it
is part of the distro then removing it and doing a cvs update will
recreate it. You can do this will whole directories (eg perl and cmd) as
well. This is *always* an option.