[Dxspider-support] DXSpider Installation

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 16:16:56 GMT 2006

I am a pretty new Linux user and am trying to install
DXSpider v1.52 on a Slackware 10.2 box. I have been
following Installation Manual v1.50, and have hit a
couple of snags.

All went well until I got to attaching the net/rom
ports - it gave me errors when I just did 'nrattach
netrom' - apparently I had to add '-i' and the machine
ip address. After that it seems to be fine, and ax25d
and netromd appear to run ok.

Now I am stuck with xinetd.d. It did not appear to be
on my machine. It also does not appear to be present
on Ubuntu 5.10. I was able to install it from the
Slackware repos, but it seems to just sit there and do
nothing, even if I make it load on boot. Although I
can see a PID, if I go to the next stage and 'telnet
localhost 3000' it comes back saying that connection
to 127.0.0.1 is refused, even as root, so I presume
that the script in xinetd.d is not being acted on. I
can telnet to other ip addresses successfully.

Allowing that the instructions I am following are
fairly dated and that the two distros are new, I am
guessing that things have progressed. Would be very
grateful for any pointers!

The next thing may or may not be related... After
installing the AX25 components, there was no
'node.conf' file produced, although all the others
seem to be there. There is a file called
node-0.3.0.tar.gz that I have downloaded but not
installed. Should I have done?

Sorry for the dumb questions - looking forward to some
non-dumb answers!

73 Roger
VE3ZI