[Dxspider-support] Smarterclickz Search Engine Abuse on Port 7300

charlie carroll k1xx at cfl.rr.com
Sat May 6 13:43:32 BST 2006

Yesterday I happened to look at the input to my node and found a
continuing series of connect attempts on port 7300.  There would be
anywhere from 6-12 rapid connect attempts, occurring every 3-5 minutes.
  No idea how long this has been going on.  But, it appears that someone
did some open port searching, found my port 7300, and decided I was a
candidate for their data gathering exercise.  It took quite a while to
reach someone at Smartclickz.com to understand what was happening and why.

Ultimately I ended up blocking IP addresses 68.117.177.113 and
59.10.228.229 at my firewall.  For the moment, the exclusion of these 2
addresses has blocked the connect attempts.

So, be forewarned.  There's a lot of crap out there on the Internet that
can get at you.  It may pay to be somewhat more cautious.  I know I will be.

73 charlie, k1xx/4