[Dxspider-support] LOTW "+"

Robert Chalmas rcbza at hb9bza.net
Wed May 24 16:26:45 BST 2006

>> I would like to know if it is possible to add a character "+" for the
>> calls that is in the LoTW
>
> It is possible (given that I can get my head around the rules and I can
> get a regular source of the data).
>
> However, when this was discussed before, the consensus seemed to be that
> it wasn't that much use and was a bit of a fag to administer with the
> database in its current form.
>
> I believe Robert is the guru here. I would welcome further discussion.

As the author of the inofficial LoTW users list, I will not take a
position for or against the inclusion of the requested feature in
DXSpider, but just provide some information which might be useful
to Dirk and those interested in this topic:

- the list currently includes over 12200 calls and is updated about
   twice a week (depending of the number of new calls reported).
   It is available in several formats from this page:
   http://www.hb9bza.net/lotw
   For software use, I recommend the lotw1.txt file, which is the
   smallest and the easiest to load (one call on each line and
   nothing else).

- the latest version of my free packet and telnet client RXCLUS
   uses this list. It can be downloaded from this page:
   http://www.hb9bza.net/rxclus

- As I mentioned the first time this topic was discussed,
   more can be done on the client side. If the user imported its
   LoTW credits list in the client software, customized alarms can
   be issued only if the spotted LoTW user is located in a DXCC country
   not already confirmed for LoTW on that band or mode.

- But as not everybody is using a client supporting LoTW functions,
   a simple "+" added on the server side may be usuful for many people.

- If several server softwares flag the LoTW users, it will be important
   to be sure that only one flag can appear on each spot. As AR-cluster
   already uses the "+" flag, this means DXSpider would have to use the
   same syntax and not add an extra "+" if one is already provided!

If Dirk decides to add this function, I would be ready to provide all
required information to make his job as easy as possible!

Vy 73's                 Robert - HB9BZA

--
Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
email: rcbza at hb9bza.net           web: http://www.hb9bza.net