[Dxspider-support] Ping average RTT values

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 17:19:11 CET 2007

Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:
> Dirk,
>     I have noticed that when a node disconnects for a while and then
> reconnects, the average round trip time in "who" and "links" shows
> excessive values when the node returns.  I think the RTT calculation
> should be reset when a new connection is established.  It may be that it
> continues to ping the node well after it is disconnected.

The reason for this is that, until the first ping comes in, it is set to
a default value of 999. However, if you are connecting to AR-C, for some
reason they have somekind of ping "deduplication" or rate limiting thing
  it, they (deliberately) "miss" pings. This seems to mess the algorithm
up so that the first ping period (of 999) gets taken into account.

I shall be revisiting all of that soon anyway (and some of the necessity
for pinging has gone away anyway) in 1.53.

Dirk G1TLH