[Dxspider-support] Problem setting up mrtg

Robert Chalmas rcbza at hb9bza.net
Sun Feb 18 21:40:13 CET 2007

Hi,

I tried setting up the mrtg statistics on HB9IAC-8 this afternoon.
This was already done several times in the past, but almost all versions
changed more and more (Linux, DXSpider, mrtg,...), so most of the
documentation on dxcluster.org (section 8 of the Administration manual) is now
almost useless (even the link to a mrtg page on gb7mbc is broken).

Our setup: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS ("Dapper"), DXSpider 1.52 (build 61.514).

I installed the mrtg package for Dapper, which is indeed version 2.12.2.

The 3 mandatory libraries: libpng, zlib and gd were already installed (also as
packages, not from the sources). I guess the package names were libpng12-0,
zlib1g and libgd2.

As mrtg (the executable) was put in /usr/bin, which is in the PATH, I had no
need to create a symlink from /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg to /usr/bin/mrtg.
As the directory /usr/local/mrtg-2 do indeed not exist in this setup, I didn't
create the 2nd symlink either.

As instructed in the old install instructions, I did a "mrtg all" from the
node. Did not get any complaint (but I guess this command is not designed to
send any feedback).

Then, I went to /spider/html/mrtg and run the indexmaker command with the
usual parameters to generate an index.html file using the (existing) mrtg.cfg
file, and got here also no complaints. The output file was created.

Well, all seems OK, but it's not ! While checking the /spider/html/mrtg
directory, I found no files except the index.html I just generated. No trace
of the other html files (msg.html, totalspots.html,...) nor from the png
images. I tried to locate them at another place but no success: they seem not
to be generated.

Obviously those files should be generated by /spider/cmd/mrtg.pl, which calls
some functions in /spider/perl/Mrtg.pm, so I tried to run manually the command
"perl mrtg.pl", but got the error "Can't locate object method "new" via
package "Mrtg" (perhaps you forgot to load "Mrtg"?) at mrtg.pl line 40.".
Not sure this is significant, as this command may not be designed to be run
outside the cluster software...

So does somebody have an idea why those html and png files are not created ?

Vy 73's               Robert - HB9BZA

--
Robert CHALMAS, PO Box 1225, CH-1227 Carouge/GE, SWITZERLAND
email: rcbza at hb9bza.net           web: http://www.hb9bza.net