[Dxspider-support] telnet echo

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 21:52:55 CEST 2007

Paul Pescitelli wrote:
> Dirk, et all....
>
> I am extremely curious about the telnet echo problem from client
> windows machines. I also see a slight problem when telnetting from Mac
> OSX in that the carriage returns do not accept properly.

There is an RFC. Forget exactly which one. But the important things that
it says are:-

1. There is a thing called 'telnet protocol', it shall only be used when
  talking to port 23.

2. When talking to other ports there shall be NO protocol of any kind
and, further, that means no echoing either (as this could constitute
"protocol").

3. IIRC it also stipulates that clients should indicate end of line (in
all cases) as \r\n.

> Is the current status for the telnet connections to just get by with
> the weirdness? Where does the issue come from?

The weirdness comes from the fact that each O/S manufacturer has their
own standards (probably deliberately) to annoy people sufficiently to
stop them from accessing non-"approved" other software / O/Ses.

Linux/unix telnet clients work as I expect. Never tried Mac telnet but I
am aware that Mac use \r by itself to indicate EOL. Linux/unix use \n. I
  know that this is deliberate.

Windows is a bit more nuanced: it uses \r\n for EOL and telnet *should*
do this as default. However, windows telnet has to be "adjusted" in its
dialog boxes to get the best (ie linux/unix) operation. But at least one
can do it.

The default way that is presented generally works with the windows
telnet, provided it is set on its defaults (but sometimes the telnet
does not have the default parameters that I expect - for unaccountable
reasons). I generally recommend the public domain program called 'putty'
(or puttytel) as this works much more like I expect and is generally
easier to live with than standard windows telnet.

For Linux/unix boxes, telnet just works, but one has to 'unset/echo'
when you login in for the first time. It will always echo your callsign.

Dunno what you need to do for a Mac. Probably set local echoing, line
buffering and either \r\n or \n as EOL (the unix standard).

Let us know what works and we / you will stick it in the instructions in
the new Wiki that Ian G0VGS is doing.