[Dxspider-support] Talk command

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 12 08:08:49 CEST 2007

Dirk Koopman wrote:

> Aurelio, PC5A/AA2WH wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > A user at PI4TUE-8 (version 1.54 (build 0.102) pointed out a strange
> > behaviour compared to a few weeks ago. He sent a talk to a not-connected
> > user and got back a normal prompt as if the talk was succesfully delivered.
> >

> <snip>
>

> > Is this new behaviour normal?
> >

> Er.. possibly. Depends on what we want to achieve here.
>
> The new protocol has the possibility of finding that elusive talk
> recipient where there is incomplete routing info about how to get to them.
>
> However, that then means that you can't be sure that the recipient
> actually either is connected somewhere or even exists.
>
> The protocol does not get a complete picture of the network until about
> one hour has passed (it may be less, but not more). This means we have
> to make a choice: either allow a "broadcast" to find the recipient or
> only do a "directed" talk if the recipient is in the routing table.
>
> Discuss.
>
> Dirk

Hi Dirk

Would it not be possible to send a message back to the originator of the
talk "if" the talk message is delivered, rather than one if it is not
delivered.  Perhaps even a "talk/rr" (return receipt)

By the way.   Would it be possible for CC Clusters to exchange broadcast
talk messages with Spider?  I do not need or want all the node/user
info.   There is simply too much of it.

Lee