[Dxspider-support] Add dxcluster.com to dyndns service?

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 14:19:40 CEST 2007

John Spigel wrote:
> Dirk, I would like for you to consider allowing dyndns to add
> dxspider.com or another domain name to their free ddns service for use
> withe the cluster. Please think about the pros/cons and maybe toss the
> idea out to the sysops on the dxspider-support mail system. I have
> emailed dyndns and they will consider the idea. I did not give them any
> domain name.

Not certain I would want to do that. However, I have dxcluster.net (and
dxspider.net as well - the synonyms) specifically for node addresses,
like wr3d.dxcluster.net, which I maintain for people to use if they
would like.

Typically I use CNAME records in that domain to point to the true dns
record of the node. There is no reason why you could not give yourself a
dyndns dns A record and I CNAME to that.

I much prefer this way of working because I can then be reasonably sure
that the system is not misused.

I am herewith punting it to the sysops at the same time, if only to
remind people that the facility is available if anyone wants to use it.

Dirk G1TLH