[Dxspider-support] Dirk's "First Impressions"

Gordon Stewart gordon_stewart at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jun 23 02:04:44 CEST 2007

Greetings from the quiet backwaters of the South Pacific.

As Dirk is suggesting it is time to clean up the Spider Network.
And what better time then now with the introduction of Dirks latest release.

Most of you will never have seen ZL2ARN-10 in the Spider Network, it is
there,
and has been for many years.

I control my Node Routing with the following:-

acc/route ZL2AQY-10 input call  ZL2AQY-10
acc/route ZL2AQY-10          call  ZL2ARN-10

This is very severe Routing control and limits my exposure to just my Link
Partners. This prevents the volumes and volumes of unnecessary data that
would otherwise be using up my Broadband allocation.

"95% of our Spider Network traffic is totally unnecessary"

I was amazed to find that a number of my NODE Partners had NOT set any
filters for me. But thanks for Dirk's RCMD I was able to make the necessary
remote adjustments to stop the continuous stream of incoming data.

Can I recommend that we make some hard and fast rules.

1.  Maximum of 5 Node partners (you do not need any more)
2.  A mandatory set of Route Filtering for NODE partners (to control the
     vast volumes  of Network data.)
3.  Controlling the hop counts in /data/hop_table.pl (Dirk, this is wide
open
      and subject to abuse. How about a firmware limit.)

This is a great opportunity to sort out the Network. Lets get it right NOW.

Gordon
Sysop
ZL2ARN-10