[Dxspider-support] IQ4AX-6

IZ4EFN Alessio iz4efn at libero.it
Wed Jun 27 23:50:36 CEST 2007

Jim Reisert AD1C ha scritto:
> --- IZ4EFN Alessio <iz4efn at libero.it> wrote:
>

>> IQ4AX (dxcluster.arimodena.it:8000) is now upgraded to the latest CVS.
>>
>> If you have a forward connection with me, please note that during this
>> upgrade I switched my node callsign to IQ4AX-6.
>>

> Hello Alessio,
>
> I will update the Telnet cluster list.
>
> I notice that many Italian stations use the -6 SSID for their clusters.  Is
> there a particular reason for this?
>
> 73 - Jim AD1C

Jim,

I was right sending you a note about this change :) You actually spy
your sysops changes, don't you? :)

I use the -6 SSID just to have unique names for packet servicies running
on the same server: since i have 3 "old style" radio ports and a node
reachable from a wide area in the north Italy through a "old style" high
speed backbone having routing tables based on the SSID concept, I
decided to give the same name to common stuff.

I would not use the -6 on a IP-only cluster, no reason for that.
Although, I agree that the game "you can also be a sysop" became popular
in Italy in the last couple of years (I think you noticed a lot of
Italian "new web cluster" announcements during weekends, usually on
dynamic dns redirectors) and since a lot of these guys are not running
any radio port, I think they use the -6 just because all other well
known PCs do.

BTW, regarding SSIDs, what is the real reason for not allowing CALL-n to
connect to the cluster named CALL?
I mean, it would be great for me to have IQ4AX as a user of IQ4AX-6.
This because IQ4AX is actually the club station, but also the cluster
owner, and spotting from that callsing would be nice.
Maybe there's a protocol or security issue to avoid, or it has it's own
logic like this, or I should have read better the manual ;)

73 de Alessio IZ4EFN