[Dxspider-support] Spider won't start

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat May 12 10:15:17 CEST 2007

Luigi - IK5ZUK wrote:
> Hello Ian,
> thank you for your help !
>
> I've tryed what you suggested me, and this time spider seems to start
> correctly, but there is no way to connect to the node (neither via
> telnet or via the client program)...
>
> Dirk, are you on ?!? Please, could you tell me something about ?!?
>
> 73's and TKS,
> de Luigi IK5ZUK
>
>> Comment out the line in innitab to restart the cluster and run
> telinit q
>> or reboot.
>> try and start the cluster manually by going to /spider/perl and
> running
>> ./cluster.pl
>> What happens now?

All these suggestions are ones that I would have made. You need to find
out where cluster.pl is being started from.

Places to look (after rebooting) include:

* check /etc/inittab again to see that it really is commented out or has
"respawn" changed to "off".

* check /etc/rc*.d to see that there are no things starting it up.

   grep cluster /etc/rc*.d/*

is one way of doing that.

* if that fails try:-

   grep -r cluster /etc