[Dxspider-support] how to stop a ??loop??

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 19:20:23 CET 2007

Dave Edwards wrote:
> Hi
>
> here is a sample of what the debug file is filling up with
>
> 1194769749^-> D IW0FFK PC92^W4NJA-1^25517^D^5W4NJA-1^5K8SMC^H34^
> 1194769749^<- I DB0SUE-7 PC92^K8SMC^25580^D^5K8SMC^5W4NJA-1^H27^

This problem, a rather subtle one, is caused when there is a circular
reference deleting mutually connecting nodes as in the examples above.
It isn't very common, but it causes loops that seems to have happened at
least twice for long enough for people to notice.

It may also be an artifact of different ways of dealing with deleting
nodes between DXSpider and any other software that is implementing the
protocol.

I was auto-vivifying on getting a second D record for a node (after the
first one had deleted the routing table entry). This meant that the
lastid had been lost, hence I started from scratch every other D record
so no deduping. The cure is to ignore PC92 D records for nodes that we
have not had any other PC92 records for. Perhaps other authors could do
something similar?

The more people that upgrade from CVS, the smaller (and less likely) the
loops will be if it happens again...