[Dxspider-support] telnet / read only

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Nov 17 16:17:41 CET 2007

Luc Goeman - ON1GL wrote:

> Is it possible to configure DXSpider (windows) for read-only access on
> the telnet port when there is no password given ?
> ax25 login (via AGW) should always have full write access.
> At this moment telnet-client is closing when no password is given.
> (set/var $main::passwdreq = 1)

No (is the short answer), but we can come close.

The official way of doing this is to set registration (set/var
$main::reqreg = 1) and switching off passwdreq (set/var $main::passwdreq
= 0).

This then makes people ask for registration when they use "write"
commands. However, this applies then to all users, including those on
ax25. It it probably a good idea to set passwords for people that
register. This will make them use a password on telnet, but not on ax25
where passwords mean something else and are done differently in any case.

But you will still need to register ax25 users.