[Dxspider-support] Help: Could not create socket: Address already in use

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 12:46:32 CET 2007

David Humble wrote:
> Ubuntu-server 7.10
> perl v5.8.8
>
> I've had to install a new OS, after a hard drive died.  I've
> reinstalled the latest DXSpider.  Configured as before, listening on
> port 7300.  Following the installation manual, testing the telnet
> ('Starting up for the first time') connection worked.
>
> However.  Further attempts to start spider again, even after
> rebooting the system, result in:-
>
> DXSpider V1.54, build 0.192 started
> Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Dirk Koopman G1TLH
> US Database not loaded
> starting listeners ...
> Internal port: localhost 7300 using IntMsg
> IO::Socket::INET: Address already in use
> Could not create socket: Address already in use
>   at /spider/perl/Msg.pm line 447
>          Msg::new_server('ExtMsg', 0.0.0.0, 7300, 'CODE(0x8434af0)')
> called at ./cluster.pl line 405
> Could not create socket: Address already in use
>

> Any pointer please?

You have checked that there isn't one already running (eg by telnet
localhost 7300)?

otherwise:

sudo netstat -tap

look for things already started on port 7300, my /etc/services does not
have anything defined for 7300 so it should be obvious.

> Second question.  Anyone else using Ubuntu, tell me how they
> successfully set up respawning of Spider?

As per the installation manual. Stick a line like:

sp:2345:respawn:su -c "perl /spider/perl/cluster.pl > /dev/null 2>&1" sysop

(all one line) in /etc/inittab, then either reboot or sudo telinit q