[Dxspider-support] Help: Could not create socket: Address alreadyin use

SM6U/Rickard sm6u at sk6aw.net
Thu Nov 22 13:00:47 CET 2007

Hi,

Den 11/22/2007, skrev "David Humble" <dhumble at taurus2.plus.com>:

>Ubuntu-server 7.10
>perl v5.8.8
>
>I've had to install a new OS, after a hard drive died.  I've
>reinstalled the latest DXSpider.  Configured as before, listening on
>port 7300.  Following the installation manual, testing the telnet
>('Starting up for the first time') connection worked.
>
>However.  Further attempts to start spider again, even after
>rebooting the system, result in:-
>
>DXSpider V1.54, build 0.192 started
>Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Dirk Koopman G1TLH
>US Database not loaded
>starting listeners ...
>Internal port: localhost 7300 using IntMsg

It seems as if you have set the INTERNAL cluster port to the same as the
external one. This will become a conflict. If you check "DXVars.pm" in
local/ you will probably find this line:

$clusterport = 7300;

Replace it with the original one, something like this:

$clusterport = 27754;

. and it will probably work just fine.

>IO::Socket::INET: Address already in use
>Could not create socket: Address already in use
>  at /spider/perl/Msg.pm line 447
>         Msg::new_server('ExtMsg', 0.0.0.0, 7300, 'CODE(0x8434af0)')
>called at ./cluster.pl line 405
>Could not create socket: Address already in use
>

>Any pointer please?
>
>Second question.  Anyone else using Ubuntu, tell me how they
>successfully set up respawning of Spider?

I run Slackware, but I've used inittab to control my cluster, in
/etc/inittab:

DX:23:respawn:/bin/su - spider -c "/usr/bin/perl -w
/home/spider/spider/perl/cluster.pl" >/dev/tty10

. and it will nicely output all garbage on tty10 ;-)

73 de
 SM6U/Rickard