[Dxspider-support] Cluster Hang

Mike Lewis mlewis at digitalglobe.com
Thu Oct 25 07:58:14 CEST 2007

I am still having all kinds of problems getting my clkuster to run reliably, mostly since switching to running on a SuSE 10.2 distro. I have had problems with my local telnet sessions hanging, but now have an even bigger problem where the cluster itself seems to hang. I recently (within the last week) loaded a new build of DXSpider (it shows as V1.54 build 0.172).

Here is an excerpt from the log showing the last entries prior to the hang. I had logged on, composed a message to a friend, logged out and then later back on, and then left myself connected. I had been expanding the usdbraw file to add state info, but had not yet run the load/usdb command. When I came back to the system, the terminal that I had run the client program in was not returning any prompts. top showed the cluster.pl using a consistent 95% or more of the cpu. killing the client and re-running did not connect to the cluster. I had to manually kill the cluster.pl instance.

Log file:

1193281900^ann^ALL^IZ7AUH-6^IZ7AUH-6 DX CLUSTER -> dx.iz7auh.net port 8000
1193282956^msg^msg 1 from KE0MF to KB0TVH stored
1193283206^DXCommand^KE0MF disconnected
1193283284^DXCommand^KE0MF connected from 127.0.0.1
1193284847^ann^ALL^PA4JJ-2^dx cluster telnet pa4jj-no-ip.org port 8000
1193285786^chat^MW^SM3BEI^#49 vaken!

A few questions:

What is the way to interpret the leading number (I am assuming it is a time stamp of some kind?) on each line of the log. Is it possible to determine from the log the amount of time between entries?

What is the last entry telling me? is this some sort of a chat request to my node?

If there is anyone out there with DXSpider experience on SuSE (preferably with a relatively new version) maybe they can help me. I had this running on a Debian distro on an older box with less problems. I guess I could scrap SuSE and try going back to a Debian (or some other Linux) install, but I have other unrelated reasons for wanting to keep this system running SuSE.

ML