[Dxspider-support] IPv6 Support in Dxspider

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:09:09 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 14:49 +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> > What would be involved in adding native IPv6 support to Dxspider so that
> > Dxspider can be dual homed?
> >

> Er... Have you tried it? There is nothing (that I can think of, just
> now) in the code that relies on the "dotted quad" format of an IP address.

Hi Dirk,

Yes I gave it a try and no joy. netstat would also indicate that
dxspider is only listening for IPv4

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:7300                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9000                0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN

Something that is listening to both stacks looks like
tcp        0      0 :::22                       :::*                        LISTEN

> The fact that I use '0.0.0.0' in Listeners.pm is simply because I am
> deeply conservative (I have been writing programs since 1972, after
> all). Anything you put there will simply be passed to the perl network
> routines which (usually) just work. Same in connect scripts.

Perhaps it's underlying perl network routines that are the limitation,
there may also be some display formatting issues due to the longer
addresses

> Another thing you might not be aware of is that using the form '0.0.0.0'
> means "listen on all interfaces" and that AFAIK includes IPv6 ones.

Mostly with IPv6 aware stuff 0.0.0.0 means listen on all ipv4
interfaces
and :: means listen on everything IPv4 and IPv6 but configuring :: in
place of 0.0.0.0 breaks stuff

DXSpider V1.54, build 0.135 started
Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Dirk Koopman G1TLH
US Database loaded
starting listeners ...
Internal port: localhost 27754 using IntMsg
IO::Socket::INET: Bad hostname ':::7300'
Could not create socket: Invalid argument
 at /spider/perl/Msg.pm line 433
        Msg::new_server('ExtMsg', '::', 7300, 'CODE(0x9fe8e88)') called
at ./perl/cluster.pl line 403
Could not create socket: Invalid argument

73
Brendan