[Dxspider-support] Bad file descriptor - FIXED

Paul M Dunphy dx_cluster at ve1dx.net
Sat Sep 29 19:00:31 CEST 2007

     First of all, thanks for all the suggestions.  I guess Hank,
K8DD, was the closest to pointing me in the right direction.  It was
the network.  An insidious quirk, too.  You always think, when
debugging this stuff, what was the last thing I changed?

     Turned out I had upgraded the firmware in my router yesterday or
the day before.  I thought about that, but all seemed to have gone
well.  All the computers on the LAN were talking to each other and to
the WAN.  I never would have suspected it, but somehow it stopped
outgoing telnet connections on my LAN *except* for the connection to
the VE7CC-1 node.  Why I could connect to VE7CC-1 (telnet), but not
N5IN-2, I can't explain.  I narrowed it down fairly quickly once I
became suspicious of telnet.  I discovered that no system on my LAN
could telnet anywhere outside.

     A hard reset of the router fixed it, and I'm happily connected
to N5IN-2 now.  Go figure.  Why it would manifest itself as a "Bad
file descriptor" is still a mystery, but that's what it did.  Good
thing K8DD recalled that error when he had network problems.  And
another reason to get this running under Linux.

73/DX Paul VE1DX (a/k/a VE1DXI)