[Dxspider-support] 'make' client problem

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Sat Dec 27 14:01:50 GMT 2008

renauld halbardier wrote:

> Hello to the group,
>
> Dxspider is now installed and running under Ubuntu 8.10.
> Nonetheless, during the installation, the 'make' client produced this
> error message (see attachment); which seems related to 'disconnection'
> every +- 15 min.
>
> Any idea ?
>
> 73
>
> renauld on4kvi
>

> sysop at renauld-desktop:/spider$ <mailto:sysop at renauld-desktop:/spider$>
> cd src
> sysop at renauld-desktop:/spider/src$
> <mailto:sysop at renauld-desktop:/spider/src$> make
> cc -g -O   -c -o client.o client.c
> client.c: In function ‘login_timeout’:
> client.c:757: attention : ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared
> with attribute warn_unused_result
> client.c:758: attention : ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared
> with attribute warn_unused_result
> cc -g -O   -c -o sel.o sel.c
> cc -g -O   -c -o cmsg.o cmsg.c
> cc -g -O   -c -o chain.o chain.c
> cc -g -O   -c -o debug.o debug.c
> debug.c: In function ‘dbg’:
> debug.c:144: attention : format ‘%04x’ expects type ‘unsigned int’, but
> argument 6 has type ‘long unsigned int’
> debug.c:150: attention : le format n'est pas une chaîne littérale et pas
> d'argument de format
> debug.c:151: attention : le format n'est pas une chaîne littérale et pas
> d'argument de format
> debug.c: In function ‘dbgdump’:
> debug.c:175: attention : format ‘%04x’ expects type ‘unsigned int’, but
> argument 6 has type ‘long unsigned int’
> cc -g -O client.o sel.o cmsg.o chain.o debug.o -o client
> sysop at renauld-desktop:/spider/src$
> <mailto:sysop at renauld-desktop:/spider/src$> dir
> chain.c  chain.o  client.c  cmsg.c  cmsg.o  debug.c  debug.o   README  sel.h
> chain.h  client   client.o  cmsg.h  CVS     debug.h  Makefile  sel.c   sel.o

I doubt that any of these warnings will cause the problem that you are
experiencing. They are caused by me being a very old C programmer  and
not keeping up to date with newer C compilers - which seem rather picky
these days.

I am presuming that you are using 'client' for ax25 connections. If so,
then are these incoming or outgoing connections? If you are using them
for telnet connections then there are better ways of doing that (you
don't need the client program, see:

http://wiki.dxcluster.org/index.php/Configuration#Setting_up_telnet_connects_.28from_1.47_onwards.29

for more details.

Please give us some more information as to what you are doing, whom you
are connecting to and how.

Dirk G1TLH