[Dxspider-support] AGW/BPQ interface

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 17:42:31 GMT 2008

With the valuable help of Ron N5IN, a number of improvements to the AGW
interface have been made that should make it more stable (as well as
flexible). This can be used both for connection to AGW Engines or BPQ
via the AGWtoBPQ shim.

In the meantime John G8BPQ has written a native DXSpider BPQ interface
for Windows, which interfaces directly to a BPQ node located on the same
Windows machine as a DXSpider node. Instructions for using this can be
found in the distribution in /spider/txt/spiderBPQ_en.txt.

Also Ron is maintainer of the BPQ Windows installer, he has put together
a package that can help with installing BPQ and using it either directly
or via the AGW interface. There are some beta test packages available in

ftp://dxspots.com/bpq32_releases

Now all these packages are Windows only, but Linux DXSpider nodes can
connect to a Windows box running BPQ or AGW Engine via a "AGW" network
connection. This can be used for both incoming and outgoing ax25
connections. Linux sysops may find this an easier route to ax25 than try
and get DRSI boards to run under Linux. I may be wrong, but I don't
really get the impression that ax25 hardware is as well supported under
Linux as it used to be. Sadly.

73 Dirk G1TLH