[Dxspider-support] Perl 5.10.0 compatibility

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 22:53:45 GMT 2008

je1sgh at HOME(en) wrote:
> Hi Dirk & friends,
>
> I have just upgraded Perl to 5.10.0. What I got when I attempted to
> restart my DX spider:
>
> ./cluster.pl
> Recursive inheritance detected in package 'DXProt' at
> /spider/perl/DXProtout.pm line 14.
> Compilation failed in require at /spider/perl/DXProt.pm line 22.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /spider/perl/DXProt.pm line 22.
> Compilation failed in require at /spider/perl/DXXml.pm line 14.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /spider/perl/DXXml.pm line 14.
> Compilation failed in require at /spider/perl/DXCommandmode.pm line 39.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /spider/perl/DXCommandmode.pm line 39.
> Compilation failed in require at ./cluster.pl line 67.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./cluster.pl line 67.
>
> I may do something wrong. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
>
> I must add the DX Spider is the latest from git repository.

It is now fixed. However, I am rather concerned about the small change I
had to make, especially that it caused this error.

Also I am hearing reports of slowness and other issues.

One problem I have encountered is that the optional package
IO::Socket::INET6 (only needed if you are using ipv6 IP) will not
install without force *and* issues a load of warnings when you start it
up. I have not actually used it with ipv6 so I don't know whether it
works either, just that it does not break normal ipv4 operation.

Personally, I would stick with 5.8.8 and wait for 5.10.1.