[Dxspider-support] Fedora - newbie warning

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 23:10:48 BST 2008

It depends!

Do you intend having RFaccess ?

I am a linux sysadmin these days and ei7mre has always run on a linux
platform. Linux is not that hard and is a great platform for DXspider

My strong inclination would be to build it on a linux platform that will
have long term distribution support centos is a good choice here

Fedora9 is a nice desktop distro, it's what I run on my desktop and
laptop machines but it will be end of life from a support perspective
when fedora11 comes out in less than 12months time
I run Centos 5.2 on my servers, it will be supported for as long as
redhat support RHEL 5

Since i no longer have any RF users, today I migrated my node to a
virtual server from slicehost www.slicehost.com and I have to say that
this looks like a great solution so far.
It took about an hour to go from a fresh slicehost machine running
centos to a fully working node

The rental on the slicehost virtual machine is less than the monthly
electricity cost to keep a server running in EI, it's also connected to
a fast reliable internet backbone and has RAID10 storage

If you need RF access then you will need to use a platform that supports
AX25. Linux supports AX25 very well BUT AX25 support may not be part of
the stock kernel with some distributions so you will need to compile the
relevant kernel modules

73
Brendan EI6IZ
sysop EI7MRE ei7mre.ath.cx 7300

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 14:50 -0500, Danny Pease wrote:
> I am a complete novice at both Linux and sysoping a DX node. I am
> looking at putting a cluster on in west central Illinois. I have a
> machine that has Fedora 9 already installed. Will DX Spider be any
> problems using Fedora 9? I also have Redhat Linux 9 installation
> package, if that would be any better.
>
> I really want to learn to use Linux, but would installing under Windows
> rather than Linux a better option for me?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Danny NG9R
> dpease at adams.net

Don‘t complain. Nobody will understand. Or care. And certainly don‘t try
to fix the situation yourself. It‘s dangerous. Leave it to a highly
untrained, unqualified, expendable professional.