[Dxspider-support] Autostarting spider & client making

Luigi Carlotto, IK5ZUK ik5zuk at tiscali.it
Thu Jul 24 14:55:03 BST 2008

Hello the list !
Here I'm playing with my new linux box, running Ubuntu server 8.04.

Due to my plan to migrate my old spider nodes running on an old Fedora Core
5 to a new Ubuntu server 8.04 distro, I have made a brand new spider
installation. Now I have two problems: the first is autostarting spider, and
the other is making the C client program.

As written on the spider wiki, I've created  the file /etc/event.d/dxspider
as follows:

----------------------------------
#DXSpider startup script
#
# This service maintains a getty on tty8 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on runlevel 3
start on runlevel 5

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 2
#stop on runlevel 3
stop on runlevel 4
#stop on runlevel 5
stop on runlevel 6

respawn

exec /bin/su - sysop -c "/usr/bin/perl -w /spider/perl/cluster.pl" /dev/tty8
----------------------------------

As you can see, I would like to start spider on tty8 !
BTW, after the telinit q command, spider won't start automatically.... SIGH
!

As I introduced before, the other problem is making the C client program:
the system replies me with a very long error list....

Please, could someone (Dirk, for example :) ) that is running spider on
Ubuntu server 8.04 tell me something about, or if has experiences the same
problems ?!?

TU in advance !!

73 de Luigi, ik5zuk