[Dxspider-support] Autostarting spider & client making

Ian J Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Fri Jul 25 16:16:17 BST 2008

Interestingly Bob, I am in the process of building a new Ubuntu 8.04
box and I have Spider running. It restarts OK but does not output to
the TTY. I wonder if you have to remove the TTY entry for the one
younwant to use?

Ian

Ian J Maude, G0VGS
Sysop GB7MBC DX Cluster
K2 #4044 | K3 #455
Sent from my iPod

On 25 Jul 2008, at 16:06, Bob Nielsen <n7xy at clearwire.net> wrote:

> Luigi,
> I'm still running Ubuntu 6.06, but am going to build another box
> with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server and will see if I can figure this all
> out.  I should have it done within the next week and will let you
> know.  I did a few tests earlier with upstart and spider would start
> up at boot time, but I didn't check respawning.  If all else fails,
> it appears that there is still a Ubuntu sysvinit package which can
> be installed to get back to /etc/inittab but I expect that other
> Linux distributions will also be switching to upstart.
>
> Bob, N7XY
>
> On Jul 25, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Luigi Carlotto, IK5ZUK wrote:
>
>>> I have not tested, but isn't the ">" missing?
>>> This is what it looks like in my old pc in inittab (RH 71.):
>>>
>>> DX:3:respawn:/bin/su -c "/usr/bin/perl /spider/perl/cluster.pl"
>>> sysop
>>
>> Kjell,
>> thank you for your effort, but Ubuntu (from version 6.10) and
>> Fedora Core (from version 9) have changed from using sysvinit to
>> the use of upstart so using /etc/inittab won't work....
>>
>> Dirk, please if you are here, tell me something about...
>> For the other sysops running spider over Ubuntu: how you've
>> arranged your system to respawning spider on your Ubuntu system ?!?
>>
>> Any helps will be very appreciated ! ;)
>>
>>> 73
>>> Kjell