[Dxspider-support] How does talks work ?

Rene Olsen rene_olsen at post3.tele.dk
Mon Jun 23 17:30:26 BST 2008

Hi.

Following up on my mail from earlier today, I have a question regarding how talks is
supposed to work. Because the way it does right now, seems really weird ro me.

It also seems like I am not the only one experiencing problems with local users sending talks
to users on other clusters.

I have the following nodes as direct links (no other nodes between us). OZ2DXC,
DB0SUE-7. EI7SDX, SK3W-6 and some other nodes. Also have a really old spider node
connected by 1k2 baud radio port.

This is what I see even after 12+ hours of uptime with all links connected.

sh/c DB0SUE-7 shows me which users are connected at DB0SUE-7. So far so good.

If I try to send a talk to a user connected at DB0SUE-7 however, it is for some reason
beyond my understanding sent to EI7SDX. Earlier today they were sent to SK3W-6.

Lets see an example of an user connected at DB0SUE-7.

sh/route dm2ll
DM2LL on DB0SUE-7 via EI7SDX

Why is talks directed to a user on a cluster that is directly connected to OZ5BBS-7 not sent
directly to DB0SUE-7 ?

If I try to send a talk to a user on OZ2DXC all I get is this

t oz8q Talking test
callsign OZ8Q not visible on the cluster

And that is eventhough he is actually connected at OZ2DXC and also on the sh/c list.

This is what is shown if I do an sh/route on that user.

sh/route oz8q
OZ8Q on OZ2DXC via

Doesn't seem right.

Maybe it is just me not able to see "the bigger picture" in this. But it seems strange to me
that a talk to a user just 1 jump away, should be sent around the world, or whatever happens
to it at EI7SDX or SK3W-6.

I know that talks have been an ever returning discussion, but at least to my users it is a vital
part of the cluster network, and they use it a lot.

Enought from me this time. I hope that Dirk can figure out what goes on. Would prefer not
having to revert back to older versions to get talks working again.

Vy 73 de Rene / OZ1LQH