[Dxspider-support] Password's broadcasting

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 22:01:06 GMT 2008

Luigi Carlotto wrote:
> Hello Dirk, hello all the list !
>
> In these days we are assisting to several call abuse, made on various nodes
> around the world. Spider has a good *local* solution for that problem, with
> registration and password (for the registered calls). BTW the problem is
> still present because there are some nodes that are not requiring the
> registration... so, this problem is a very difficult goal.
>
> IMHO, it would be nice to create a manner to propagate to the other nodes on
> the net the user's passwords, like the 5 fields that are propagated with the
> PC41 datagrams; in this way, we can set a password for a specific call and
> that password is active not only on one node, but also to the other [at
> least Spider] nodes on the net. As reflection, we should see the callsign
> abuses reducing.

This is essentially an insecure system. It relies on goodwill. It is
also an open system, which means that anyone can start up a node, modify
the code and do what they like.

As it is we (still) have someone who seems to make it his mission to
change anybody's name to "Selfspotter" if this person transgresses some
"rule".

What is to stop someone changing some user's password remotely, just
because they do stuff that that sysop doesn't like?