[Dxspider-support] AX25

Stephen M. Murphy murphys at comcast.net
Sat Mar 29 14:58:41 GMT 2008

Hi All,

I'm still having trouble with my AX25 connections; as mentioned in my
earlier posts, I began having trouble after re-booting the PC after
updating to build .215; it had been running fine up to that point.

The system is running under Debian Etch.  Currently, I'm at DXSpider
build .217, and running all the current AX25 tools, utils, etc. I am
also running the OH2BNS node software, which is not having any problems.
  The TNC is a KPC3+.

It appears that the client is crashing immediately after an AX25 session
is started... The user sees the login prompt, enters his call, and is
immediately disconnected.  The log file shows that the "welcome" message
and the motd are being sent, but the ax25 listener never sees these
lines. After the motd is sent, the log shows the line "DXCommand", which
I don't see when connecting via telnet or running the client locally.
Running the client from a terminal session works fine, by the way.

Since I began having problems, I have removed and reinstalled DXSpider
and all of the AX-25 stuff from the source packages, so everything is
fresh, other than my AX25 config files, and the stuff in my DXSpider
/local and /local_cmd files. I have quadruple-checked these for errors,
and they look good, but I'd be happy to share them with anyone who'd be
willing to take a peek.

I should add that the client works fine for me over a telnet connection.
     I can also connect to the node using packet by going through the
OH2BNS node, which spawns a telnet connection rather than using the client.

I'd really like to hear from anyone running a similar configuration and
who is not experiencing problems; I'm stumped.  Connecting through the
OH2BNS is a work-around, but I'd like to get it back to working as
designed.  I'd also appreciate any tips for using the debugging tools to
gather more info, as I've never had a reason to use them before.

Thanks for the help, and thanks to those who've replied to my earlier
messages.

73/GL/DX
Steve N8NM