[Dxspider-support] Node disconnects

Bob Nielsen n7xy at clearwire.net
Sat Oct 18 17:10:55 BST 2008

Yes Iain, that was my first thought and it was initially set to the
local time, but I  corrected that and the disconnects still
occurred.  Ubuntu doesn't have an installation option to set the
clock to UTC and they no longer supply the tzconfig program.  You now
need to make a symlink to /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC for both /etc/
timezone and /etc/localtime (I couldn't find that in any of the
Ubuntu documentation, but Google came through).

However, I did find the real problem.  I had reconnected the other
box to my router so I could copy over some files and apparently
dxspider was still running, although I was sure I had killed it (I
removed the script used by upstart to keep it going but did not
reboot the computer, so I think it it still processed the restarts).
I suspect that copy kept making connections to the other nodes and
when it did, the other connection was kicked off.  Then, a few
minutes later the reverse happened.  I shut down that computer and
everything now seems fine.

73, Bob N7XY