[Dxspider-support] UPS

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 21:23:01 BST 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 10:24 -0400, K2LS wrote:
> Roger,
>
> May I suggest you use a "UPS" on your node.

Another option is to host your cluster with a hosting company. These
days with server virtualisation (XEN based usually) and VPS (virtual
private servers) you can have a 'dedicated' virtual linux box on a fast
reliable internet backbone and in a power protected Datacentre for
around the same cost per month as running a box locally will run up in
electricity charges alone

I have used Slicehost for a while to do this
http://www.slicehost.com/
but recently wanted to move my server to the UK so am now using
tagadab in the UK
http://www.tagadab.com/

A 256 Meg of ram  VPS or XEN based server is ample to run Dxspider
alongside a few other simple tasks (mailserver, Socks proxy etc)

in each case the server provisioning was very fast, under 15 minutes
from sign up.
If you just want to dabble with a server for a few hours (perhaps to
test something or maintain service during a move etc.) Amazon's Elastic
Compute cloud is pretty amazing too although not cost effective for
running a cluster on for the long term.

This may not be an option if you still have RF users but I have not had
RF users around here for several years now.

73
Brendan EI6IZ (Sysop EI7MRE mayodx.ath.cx)

--
Don‘t complain. Nobody will understand. Or care. And certainly don‘t try
to fix the situation yourself. It‘s dangerous. Leave it to a highly