[Dxspider-support] autostart problem Debian Lenny

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Sun Aug 16 21:50:18 BST 2009

Joseph Holland wrote:
> Greetings all.
>

> When I try to auto start Cluster as sysop...  I can start it as root...
> but I still can't get it to auto start...  My inittab entry is:
>

> ##Start DXSpider on bootup and respawn it should it crash
> DX:3:respawn:/bin/su -c "/usr/bin/perl -w /spider/perl/cluster.pl" sysop
>  >/dev/$
>
> Any help would be wonderful... Below is what happens when I try to start
> it as sysop...
>
> 73 de Joe KB5VJY
>

> DXSpider V1.55, build 0.48 started
> Copyright (c) 1998-2009 Dirk Koopman G1TLH
> US Database not loaded
> starting listeners ...
> Internal port: 75.145.213.76 27754 using IntMsg
> IO::Socket::INET6: bind: Permission denied
> Could not create socket: Permission denied
>  at /spider/perl/Msg.pm line 447
>         Msg::new_server('ExtMsg', 0.0.0.0, 23, 'CODE(0x9d84d88)') called
> at ./cluster.pl line 426
> Could not create socket: Permission denied

Please (PLEASE) don't run this code are root. The manual makes this very
clear. The standard port is 7300 and that is what is recommended. For
historical reasons, other people use ports like 8000.

Also DXSpider is not a telnetd server, it is a DX Cluster. It should not
be using port 23.

Having said that, if one insists on having port 23 connect to one's DX
Cluster software, then the best way to achieve that is to run DXSpider
on 7300 and use the firewall software to redirect port 23 -> 7300.
Personally, I use "shorewall", but then are several graphical ones
available. Or one could just create the iptables rules by hand.

Dirk G1TLH