[Dxspider-support] Add IP address tp PC16

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 7 19:07:29 GMT 2009

Brendan Minish wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 12:28 +0000, Dirk Koopman G1TLH wrote:
>
> > We don't use PC16/17 anymore (at least for mainstream DXSpider/CCCluster
> > nodes). PC92 could be extended compatibly, eg:
> >
> > PC92^HB9DRV-9^44775.01^A^^1IZ8QKQ:192.168.0.1^H96^
>
> Dirk, Lee
>
> I think it's a good idea to share IP information but please design the
> protocol additions in such a way that they will not have a problem with
> IPv6 addresses
>
> An interesting thing about IPv6 addresses is that on auto-configured
> networks (& most will be ) the last part of the address corresponds to
> the Ethernet card MAC address on the originating machine which will
> certainly help narrow down the source of abuse
>
> As the network manager at an ISP I am acutely aware of how soon IPv4
> address space will run out. After that it will be IPv6 and NAT for IPv4
> for normal domestic users. Carrier grade NAT will make tracking users by
> IPv4 address very difficult to do.
>
> --
> 73
> Brendan EI6IZ

Just when I think I have IPv4 figured out, they are going to change to
IPv6.

Brendan you say having the Mac Address in IPv6 will help to narrow down
the abusers.  Then you say tracking users will be more difficult.  This
doesn't make sense to me.

What I am currently doing with IPv4 seems to work fine.  I will continue
to use it and modify it when I need to.  Hopefully I can continue this
with IPv6.

CC Clusters currently are including IP addresses with the DX Spots.
Also, spots from DX Summit(OH8X-xx) have their IPs included.  Using a
list of over 100,000 IP blocks, CC Clusters can in real time determine
whether these spots originate in the country  of the call used by the
spotter or whether they came from somewhere else.  If somewhere else,
they are dropped.  VE7CC-1 started dropping these spots on Dec 4th.
Other CC Clusters will start this in the next few days.  This is only
the first step in stopping abuse.  Matching IPs to calls and dropping
spots where many calls are using the same IP address will soon be
implemented.

If Spider would include IP addresses with spots, these could also be
checked for matching spotter country and IP country and dropped when
they don't match.  If we depend on sysops to lockout users who send bad
spots, the clusters where the sysops are MIA will continue to be a
problem.  You can see this now with talks from 5Z4FT.  He simply moves
to a new cluster when he gets locked out.  He has been doing this for
years.  Locking out bad spotters or requiring passwords doesn't stop the
bad spotters from going somewhere else and continuing to cause problems.

For DX Summit(OH8X-xx), any DX spot which does not have a country match
for the DX station, will also be dropped.  DX such as QZ9xxx will be
dropped.  Since all OH8X-xx spots come via CC Clusters, spots which are
dropped will not be sent to Spider clusters.  The other source of DX
Summit spots is K1TTT-14.  At the present time this call continues to
send out spots which I am dropping.  All K1TTT-14 spots are dropped by
CC Clusters.

Lee