[Dxspider-support] Add IP address tp PC16

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 7 21:21:36 GMT 2009

Iain Philipps wrote:

> Lee,
>
> > NAT has not prevented me from finding user countries, at least as far as I
> > can see.
>
> No, I shouldn't think NAT will do that to you. BGP might, though :-)
>
> > All the spots which I drop for non-matching of countries are saved to a
> > file.  Out of all the spots seen since Friday, I have only seen a couple
> > of spots that were dropped in error.  There were because spots from TK
> > show as France and not TK, EA6 and EA8 show as EA, etc  I fix these
> > glitches as soon as I see them.  Are there other legitimate reasons why
> > a *cluster* country and IP address might not match?
>
> So if I'm "roaming" out of my homeland, logged in to my "home" cluster via
> telnet, you're going to arbitrarily discard my spots because of a mismatch?
> Interesting philosphy.
>
> > Local management of users does not stop bad spots from being seen by
> > your users.
>
> Quite. I was advocating local management of users <<for all>>. That would
> stop it. There's no way you're going to fix this solely in software any more
> than you can stop driving at excess speed solely with radar. Any software
> you put in place WILL make mistakes, because we do live in an imperfect
> world.
>
> Ignore me. I'm rambling (again).
>
> Merry Christmas de WR3D.

Hi Iain

If you connect to VE7CC-1 as WR3D and you are in England, I will discard
your spots or I "may" even put your spots out as G/WR3D.  I expect you
to connect to my cluster as G/WR3D, or M/WR3D or something indicating
you are in England.  I discard spots from DX Summit for SW1L when I find
his IP address tells me he is in DL instead of SV.  Likewise for EU0DX
when his IP tells me he is in France sometimes and Germany at other
times.  Sending of spots as WR3D when you are in England causes many
problems for different software packages.  All these problems go away
when you use G/WR3D.

73 Lee