[Dxspider-support] Add IP address tp PC16

Lee Sawkins ve7cc at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 9 08:22:11 GMT 2009

Iain you may delete this message without reading it.

The most important use for DX Clusters is to distribute DX spots.  Yet
these DX spots account for a minor amount of the traffic.  The PC92
traffic is many times the DX spot traffic.  This is mainly the "who is
connected" traffic.  If you could turn off the PC92 traffic for all your
node links except one or two reliable ones, you would greatly reduce
your backbone traffic and not lose anything.  Better yet, only use a
couple of node links.

I would really prefer to only see the IP addresses in DX spots and not
anywhere else.  Since the number of these spots is small, the increase
in data would be too be small.

I am quite willing to share my IP to country list with Spider.  This
list is quite accurate.  Today with this list I dropped all the DX spots
from W0RLD and GL0BE, which were all Spam about global warming.  The
last dropped spot was from the call E51XIW complaining about DLs.  This
spot originated in SM, not E5.  The dropped one before that was from the
call SP0O which had some bad words in Polish directed at an SP station.
This spot's IP said DL, not SP.

I am not running a Spider cluster, but I will not be implementing
registration.  It is simply too much work.  In the last 3.5 years I have
received PC41 data from over 62,000 different calls.  That is how many
different cluster users there has been.  I estimate a minimum of 10,000
of them have connected to my cluster.

Lee