[Dxspider-support] Add IP address tp PC16

Ian Maude ian at gb7mbc.net
Thu Dec 10 08:33:58 GMT 2009

2009/12/9 Lee Sawkins <ve7cc at shaw.ca>

> IMHO you are wrong about it stopping abuse on the network.  Your
> clusters, yes, but not the network.  An abuser would probably not
> register with your clusters, but instead would simply find another
> cluster that didn't require registration.  I expect WR3D to tell me I am
> talking about an imperfect world again.  That's the real world.  It is
> imperfect.

I didn't say it stopped abuse on the network, I said it helped to control
the network.  Completely different.  My point is that if registration were a
requirement, it would help the network no end.

> What I should have said is that it's too much work to register users for
> almost no gain.  Since I believe that registration is of almost no
> value, any time spent doing this is wasted.  I just did check my system
> and found 10,148 local users of my own cluster, and this was using data
> several months old.  At a rate of one call per minute it would take 167
> hours to register 10,000 of them.  Calls can be supplied if anyone wants
> to see them.

I'm sorry Lee but this is a smokescreen.  I have had many thousands of users
but in actuality I only have about 1000 registered users on each cluster.
 That has built up over time and has taken a little time of course but
nowhere near your estimates.  How many *regular* users do you have?

I completely agree about web based clusters in as much as they do not share
their information with the network.  I am a long time critic of the DX
Summit type system and for anyone to forward their spots on to the cluster
network in general is at least foolish and at worst reckless IMHO.  What we
should be doing is to apply pressure for these systems to have a protocol
back end.  We can do this by denying them spots where possible for a start.

73 Ian

--
Ian J Maude, G0VGS
SysOp GB7MBC & HB9DRV-9 DX Clusters