[Dxspider-support] MSI Wind NetTop runs DX Spider

Bob - KL5E kl5e at gci.net
Sat May 9 04:50:18 BST 2009

I just built a barebones MSI NetTop with Suse 11.1 running DX Spider.  It's
still burning in on the LAN but looks like a winner.  Next week I plan to
replace the current PC with this new box.  It uses only 35 watts whereas the
old junker PC consumes some 200 watts.  I don't expect any problems - unless
you know of potential issues.

The MSI has an Intel ATOM processor at 1.6 GHz.  I added 2GB RAM (there's
only one slot) and a 1TB HDD.  I could have purchased a smaller HDD but this
one was cheap.  I also plan to run Apache web server in the near future.  It
is powered by a small laptop like supply.   (Now I see someone else builds a
similar motherboard powered from 12 vdc.  That would allow the system to run
on a battery bank.)

The only hard part so far was building a boot disk on my thumb drive for the
initial Suse install.  The machine has a socket for a flash card if you want
to run the system diskless - but I didn't need this for my intended use.

Bob KL5E