[Dxspider-support] badnode filtering

Dirk Koopman G1TLH gb7tlh at dxcluster.org
Mon Nov 16 21:15:21 GMT 2009

Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Dirk Koopman G1TLH
> <gb7tlh at dxcluster.org> wrote:
>
>> Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

>>> I would suggest NOT doing this.  Many TO and TX callsigns are added to the
>>> country file "after the fact".  Let the user's logging program figure these
>>> out, there is no need to block them at the cluster node.
>>>
>> Yes, but they are not treated as "pirate countries". They may be wrongly
>> attributed, but not "pirate" as far as the spot system is concerned.
>> Contrast:
>>
>> sh/pre TO TX
>
> Those are not considered "unknown prefixes" in DX Spider because of
> the WPXLOC.RAW file.  They are NOT listed in CTY.DAT or WL_CTY.DAT or
> ARRL.CTY, which is used by other clusters, so on those clusters, they
> might be.

Jim

I dunno whether we are violently agreeing or not.

What I am trying to achieve, with this simple filter, is to prevent
obviously invalid dx spots being sent around the system. For the absence
of any doubt: TO and TX would happily pass through a DXSpider node (as
before) with the pirate filter applied. Therefore they would *still* be
available to be rejected by more picky software :-)

So far, I cannot (for the life of me) see a downside to rejecting spots
that DXSpider identifies as invalid. Since nobody else seems to have
such a comprehensive list of prefixes (with *your* invaluable help btw),
if DXSpider reckons it's a pirate call, then no other package has the
data to gainsay that.

Of course if you have the full filter (including dx spot calls) it does
stop the likes of 1B1AB :-)

If DXSpider nodes act as a primary filters for the rubbish coming from
the internet, who/what else is likely to do a better job?

I am confused.

Dirk G1TLH