[Dxspider-support] Australian 4 letter calls

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 11:26:17 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 11:03 +0000, Ian Maude wrote:
> However, they have a callsign that is recognised by the Australian
> authorities and we cannot discriminate just because they only have one
> foot on the ladder.

The issue I would have with 4 letter calls (& longer..) is how all the
other nodes on the network will handle spots, talk, ann etc. Isn't there
a real risk that not all nodes will handle 4 letter calls properly
They are also a non runner over packet.

Perhaps we should allow 4 letter calls to connect but not spot, talk or
ann (beyond the local node anyway)
Surely that's enough cluster access to support logging software and get
one's feet wet yet protects the rest of the cluster network from
unintended consequences.

for example..
 vk4abcd posts on a node, some other node (possibly running something
ancient and now unsupported )  in the network parses this differently
and truncates it to VK4ABC and we have dupe spots, one with an invalid
originating call

73
Brendan EI6IZ